Tuesday 4 December 2012

The Beginning..


Hey Guys!
This is my first Blog and I’m all new to this, so have no idea of how this site works. So please be patient with me. (:

So, my life story in regards to braces. Here goes..

My teeth were impacted, and were in a horrid state. So at the age of 14, my dentist referred me to an orthodontist.
After my first appointment I was sent back to the dentist to have 4+ teeth removed (all molars) to make room for my existing teeth, and the teeth unable to grow due to the lack of space. This I remember was painful, not getting the teeth out so much, but the aftermath.. I spent 3 days in bed trying to sleep. I remember waking, looking down, my poor white pillow had been dyed red, EW!
Luckily after waking on the 3rd day most of the pain had passed and I was able to eat some soft foods.
Getting braces was a different experience for me, sitting with my mouth open for a large period of time, awake. It’s quite hard for me to hold my jaw open as I have large overbite, and my jaw dislocates slightly if opened. Makes it quite hard to chew, yawn, all that stuff most people take for granted. Of course, at this time I thought that was normal, and everyone had trouble holding their mouth open… Apparently not.
The first day of braces was the worst, not painful as such but more so uncomfortable and annoying. Panadine seemed to keep the pain under control for the first few days until it subsided. The worst of it past after the first couple of days, and then the ulcers start.. Anyone who has had braces in the past will understand exactly what I mean.. this is from the metal or ceramic rubbing and wearing holes in your cheeks and lips. This seems to settle down after a few weeks once your mouth adjusts to the braces, and for while the ulcers are there your orthodontist should supply you with some bees wax which covers the ceramic or metal braces which eliminates the cutting (: Just be careful not to use the wax to often as your mouth will have to eventually adjust to the braces.
While having my braces we tried to fix my overbite with bands, however no such luck. Turns out my jaw is to small, and is creating all the troubles I have, including having impacted teeth! I had also been suggested to wear head gear and to get surgery to extend my jaw, however being only 14 – 15 I was very self conscious and was way to scared to even think about having surgery.. So refused both treatments.. Wish I hadn’t now!
Once getting my braces off at the age of 16, I felt free.. however had gotten quite attached to my braces at that point and was sad to see them go, not realising that I’d have them back only a few years later (;  Once my braces came off, down came the wisdom teeth! which we thought would have plenty of room to come down as we’d pulled teeth to make room for their appearance… Well that didn’t happen the way we thought.. So now, at the age of 19, almost 20, I am going back to the orthodontist as my teeth are becoming quite impacted once again.

So the Story Continues..

Okay, so hopefully you’ve read the above and know most of my history. I’ve probably forgotten some, if not a lot. But I will update as I think of anything, and if you have any questions please let me know.


By the way, the main reason I am writing this blog, and plan on creating more is I’m loving researching and hearing everyones experiences they’ve had in a similar situation to mine. I'd love to do the same for others. (:

Okay, so now I’m visiting the orthodontist to fix what has happened in the past 3-4 years from my wisdom teeth coming through, and my lack of commitment to my retainer.
Turns out, I still require surgery. If I don’t, and I just get the cosmetic side of my teeth fixed, I will most likely be back in  another 3 – 4 years with a similar problem.
My jaw is to short as I mentioned before & I hold my jaw forward so I feel comfortable with my appearance. I have hardly any chin, and a jawline that doesn’t really exist. However if I voluntary pull my jaw forward I feel more confident in my looks, which shows in my personality. Very vain I know.
However this is causing problems, my jaw dislocated whenever I do this, along with biting down, yawning, and chewing.. Just about any movement of my jaw. I also experience a lot of pain, in my face around my ear, up my face and along my jaw.
Surgery is said to fix this. However this is still in the drawing plan, along with everything else that I am to be writing about from here on down.
Before surgery, I am to have braces for another 6 – 18 months depending on the work that will need to be done, along with around 6 months after surgery. The surgery will consist of ‘breaking’ my jaw and extending it around 9mm.
Braces are required beforehand to place my teeth in the correct position for the surgery, so they will be nice and straight, and hopefully will bite together correctly once surgery has been done (:
Directly after surgery, they will use my braces to wire my jaw shut for around 2 days, and then the wires will be replaced with bands to hold my jaw in a position for healing for the next 3 – 6 weeks.
Bands are replaced as the healing goes to slowly give me more movement of my jaw.

So far on my journey to surgery..

I have had x-rays and pictures taken which are currently being sent to my surgeon. I will be called in for an appointment to discuss the surgery hopefully within the next month or two (:
I can’t go ahead with getting the braces on just yet as we will need to wait and see if the surgeon accepts the request for surgery as I am trying to get it through the public health system.. It’s a wait & see kind of game.
I will keep you all posted on how I go!
If you have any questions or suggestions please, comment away (:
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment